The Sustainable Development of the Wimmera.
To lead, support and encourage the Sustainable Development of our region, in partnership with government, business and the community.
Wimmera Development Association (WDA) is the region’s peak sustainable development body, covering the municipalities of Horsham Rural City Council, West Wimmera, Hindmarsh, Northern Grampians and Yarriambiack Shires.
The Association’s role is to work with the community and government(s) to attract new investment, further develop existing business and promote the Wimmera’s sustainable development opportunities, both within and outside the region.
WDA is a vital link between industry and government and has a proven track record in attracting new development to the region. Wimmera Development Association Inc. is an incorporated association established under the Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012.
BOARD OF MANAGEMENT
Wimmera Development Association is governed by a regional board. Membership comprises:
- Council and community representatives from the five member municipalities of Horsham Rural City Council and West Wimmera, Hindmarsh, Northern Grampians and Yarriambiack Shires
- Association members representing sustainable agriculture, commerce and industry, tourism, natural resources and environment, education, health and well-being.
- Co-opted members of the Association
- The Chief Executive Officer of Horsham Rural City Council
- The Treasurer and Executive Director of the Association are non-voting members of the board.
KEY FOCUS AREAS
- Jobs & Industry Development
- Transport & Liveability
- Human Capital
CURRENT & RECENT PROJECTS
- Wimmera Weather radar
- Commitment from State ($5.0M) and Commonwealth ($3.8M)
- projected benefit to Region of $43M over 20 years
- Pulse Protein Project
- Exploring potential investors
- Leadership Wimmera (LW)
- 2 streams; Regional Skills- Business Skills
- LW Alumni Group, events and activities to keep connections
- Regional Settlement
- Working with migrant families, facilitate and support
- Resilience in Agriculture
- Contact data base 800+
- Regular newsletters and events calendar
- Seasonal Conditions Group
- Small Business Drought Response package
- Assistance to small businesses affected by poor ag income
- Wimmera Indigenous Tourism Feasibility Study (Wotjobaluk Tourism)
- Barengi Gadjin LC opportunities for business and jobs in the tourism sector
- In conjunction with WWSC, HSC, YSC, HRCC, WCMA, Parks Victoria and RDV
- 2016 3WM MixxFM Wimmera Business Awards
- Biannual Event (14 October 2016- 350 attendees)
- Careers Teachers
- Workshopping careers in agriculture
- Regional Incubator for Social and Economic Research (RISER)
- Fed Uni, RDA and WDA - 4 PhD research students based in Horsham
- Agricultural Training Network
- Western Hwy Action Group
- Infrastructure Victoria submission
- Mobile Black Spot Submissions
- Trade Missions
- Annual Mayors and CEOs trip to Canberra